SKI • SNOWSHOE • FAT TIRE BIKE
The inaugural Mountains of the Midwest Winter Triathlon will take place at Wolverine Nordic Ski Trails on March 2, 2019. Competitors will compete in nordic skiing, snowshoeing, and fat tire snow biking to complete the triathlon. Registration will take place at Cold Iron Brewery in Ironwood.
SKI: 6 K Cross-Country Ski (Classic or Skate) Course
BIKE: 8 K Fat Tire Bike Course
SNOWSHOE: 5K Snowshoe Course
Standard Rate – Jan 20 thru March 1: $65 individual or $150 3-person relay team. Walk-In Registrations – March 1 & March 2: $75 individual or $165 3-person relay team
Divisions and Awards:
- Individuals, ages 15-80+: Medals will be awarded to the top two males and top two females in each of the following age categories in both classic and skate ski divisions: 15-19; 20-29; 30-39; 40-49; 50-59, 60-69, 70+. Award plaques to the top male finisher and top female finisher overall in each ski division.
- 3-Person Relay: Three people will each complete one leg of the course. A plaque for each member of the top relay team in both the classic and skate ski divisions will be awarded.
- All athletes finishing the race will receive a participation medal.
The race begins promptly at 10am at Wolverine Nordic Trails. The race time limit is set at 2:00. If any participant has not passed the finish line and exceeds this limit, they will be disqualified to receive an award medal but can continue to complete the course and receive a completion time and participation medal. Failure to heed the commands of a race official means disqualification.
Check-in/Packet Pick-up & Walk-in Registration:
Cold Iron Brewery, Ironwood on Friday, March 1 from 4-7 and Saturday morning from 7:30am to 9am at the Wolverine Chalet.
Walk-in registrations accepted until 9:00am on Saturday March 2
Racers will pick-up their race packet and may ask questions about the course and event.
Trail Preview: Trail preview is from 1pm to 3pm on Friday, March 1. We will be grooming the course Friday evening and do not want racers using the trail after final grooming. Bikes will not be allowed on the race course prior to the event.
Warming Route: There is a warm up loop for skis only near the chalet.
Waxing Area: There is an indoor waxing area available. We advise that skis should be waxed in advance. For classic skiers only, a short kick wax test trail will be located near the Chalet parking lot for your use prior to the race on Saturday morning from 7:30 am to 9 am. This trail is noted on the course map and entrances to the trail will be marked with orange cones.
Race Start Line:
Race begins promptly at 10am at the start line near Wolverine Chalet.
There will be two waves, skate skiers and classic skiers
Self seeding by ability level is recommended; expert, followed by intermediate then beginners.
Race Finish Line:
The Finish line is at Wolverine Chalet and we expect to conclude on or around 1:50pm. Followed by an awards ceremony when the last racer crosses the finish line.
Chili, hot beverages, bottled water, fruit and cookies will be available at the finish line for all participants upon completion of the race.
The Awards Ceremony will be held inside the Wolverine Chalet after the last racer crosses the finish line.
Participation medals will be awarded to all athletes completing the triathlon as an individual or relay team participant at the finish line.
Friday & Saturday Afternoon/Evening:
Friday evening Cold Iron Brewery registration
Local restaurants will be open and serving regular menu including Friday Fish Fry.
Restrooms are located:
- Portapotties are located outside of the Wolverine Chalet. Indoor bathrooms are available for our use at Wolverine Village
Safety and First Aid Stations: In the case of emergency, call 911. Safety and first aid stations will be available at the transition/finish line staffed by volunteers Ski Patrols will be on the course throughout the event. It is your job as a participant to help another racer if they are in distress and need help.
Equipment: Please remember to bring:
- Bike helmet, bike, snowshoes, cross-country ski equipment, and cold weather clothing.
- Please note: Conditions will dictate the best choice of equipment. Please check the weather forecast and trail conditions at wolverinenordic.com
- Filled beverage/water bottles, a smile and great attitude!
- Waxing equipment and space is available on-site.
LIMITED Rentals Available At:
- Hobby Wheel for skis, snowshoes & fat tire bikes: 906-932-3332
Severe Weather Policy:
- Your safety is our number one concern.
- Race officials will monitor the weather and course conditions closely the week of the race. We will keep participants aware of any alterations to the schedule or alert registered athletes if the race has been postponed or cancelled via email and Facebook notifications.
- All or any part of the race may be delayed or cancelled due to severe weather conditions.
- If weather is favorable, but trail conditions are poor, the race may be modified. In this event, notification to registered triathletes would be made via email and Facebook notifications.
- The triathlon will be cancelled if the high for the day is -5F or colder.
- The triathlon will be postponed 1.5 hours if the high at the starting time (9:50am) is forecast to be -10F.
- Please dress for all-weather conditions and plan accordingly.
- NO REFUNDS will be issued if competition must be modified, shortened or cancelled due to weather conditions. Registered triathletes will receive their participant gift, if picked up in person, or they can be mailed upon request only.
Please contact us with any questions you may have!
Susan Spaete and Justin Blake, Mountains of the Midwest Race Directors, firstname.lastname@example.org
MOUNTAINS OF THE MIDWEST SPONSORS
BECOME A SPONSOR
We are looking for sponsors for the inaugural running of the Mountains of the Midwest Winter Triathlon! Do you think you would be a good sponsor? Let us know. Contact email@example.com for more details.